National Safe Work Month kicked off in October, aiming to shine a light on Work Health and Safety (WHS) in Australia. It’s not just about following safety protocols; it’s about creating a comfortable and healthy workspace.
Common Workplace Issues
Many workers face issues due to:
- Sustained awkward postures.
- Repetitive tasks, like keying or mouse clicking.
- Poorly designed workspaces.
Such issues can lead to persistent pain or even injury.
Being an Osteopath, I frequently address neck and back pain complaints. A significant number of lower back injuries arise from bad work design or prolonged sitting postures.
The Value of Ergonomic Assessments
An ergonomic assessment can highlight potential causes of workplace discomfort or pain. Consider the chair height: if it’s too low, it may promote shoulder strain, potentially triggering neck pain and headaches over time.
A Real-life Example: Mel’s Story
Our receptionist, Mel, experienced ongoing neck and shoulder issues. An ergonomic evaluation revealed:
- Mel’s chair had a long seat pan, causing her to sit forward. This left her without back support, straining her lower back muscles and leading to pain.
- Her chair’s low height forced her shoulders to remain elevated, a typical reason for neck and shoulder discomfort.
- A low-set monitor made her tilt her neck, increasing loads on her neck muscles which contributed to her neck pain.
If Mel’s experience resonates with you, it might be time for an assessment. Contact us, and let Nick help optimize your workstation!